Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Kentucky Theater


I was at the Kentucky Theater today and I took a few photos. I have been going to this theater for the better part of a quarter of a century and even though I've lived in NYC and Los Angeles I am convinced that there is no theater on earth as beautiful as this place. When I was in high school in the early eighties I would skip school and come to this theater to see matinee shows. It was a full on art house theater in those days and in an age before the proliferation of VHS tape it was the only way I would have ever gotten to see such films as the Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, The Great Escape and a host of other great old movies.





When I was there today I finally introduced myself to the theater manager Fred Mills. Mr. Mills has worked at the Kentucky since 1963. I took the opportunity to tell him how much the Kentucky meant to me and how grateful I was to him and the Kentucky for giving me some of the most memorable entertainment of my life. I also told him that I and several of my friends had been regulars there back in the eighties and a number of us pursued careers in the film industry. I told him that in Los Angeles today there are a number of young professionals that spent a fair amount of their youth in the Kentucky Theater and to this day they speak of the place with a reverence that is reserved for things that are sacred. Mr. Mills shook my hand and thanked me for telling me that and said that it meant a great deal to him to hear such a thing... He seemed moved almost to the verge of tears.


If you have never seen a movie there I highly recommend it, and if you would like to know more about the Kentucky Theater and it's history you should click here to see their new website.

http://www.kentuckytheater.com/

No comments: