Monday, August 25, 2008

The Old Tree

This weekend my Dad and I took Thomas Wyatt Lister to Old Fort Harrod State Park in Harrodsburg, Kentucky. On the grounds there is an Osage Orange Tree that dates to the latter part of the 18th century. At an early point in the trees growth it's trunk was split and it branched out across the ground in several different directions. The branches are now larger than most tree trunks that you will see and covered in knots and unusual formations. It's been a favorite for climbing for as long as anyone can remember and the bark has been rubbed smooth by the grip of countless children.


When I was little and reading the books of J. R. R. Tolkien I used to think that this old tree was surely one of the mythical Ents that Tolkien wrote about. It was great fun to watch my little boy climb all over branches that I once played on over a quarter of a century ago. I shot some video...Here is the You Tube link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEibckdnImg

No comments: